Home > Find a service > Need health advice urgently?

Need health advice urgently?

If you need medical attention or urgent health advice in Leicester, but it’s not life-threatening, you should always call your GP practice first. GP practices are open during the coronavirus pandemic but changes have been introduced to how you should use them.

  • If they cannot fit you in soon enough, ask them to make you an appointment with a GP or nurse at one of Leicester’s Healthcare HubsThey are open every day, including evenings and weekends and you can usually be seen on the same day.
  • If your GP practice is closed and you need advice straight away, call NHS111 or go online nhs.uk.  They are open 24 hours a day and in some circumstances can even book an appointment for you if they decide you need one.
  • Local pharmacists are very knowledgeable about which medicines are best to treat minor illnesses and whether they will conflict with any existing medication you are taking. They can also offer advice on how to treat common health conditions – and if they think you need to see a GP they will tell you.

Mental health support

  • Call the Central Access Point (CAP) on 0116 295 3060 24 hours a day
  • The service links callers with call handlers and clinicians who can assess their needs and advise, support, signpost or refer them directly to the appropriate service.
  • It offers an alternative to NHS 111, the emergency department and other urgent and non-urgent services for people with urgent mental health needs.
  • The service is for people of all ages across Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland – including existing and previous service users and people who have never used mental health services before. It also support carers, stakeholders and health and social care professionals looking for information and advice.
  • The CAP phone service* is not an emergency service. Where people have immediate, serious and life-threatening emergency mental and/or physical health needs, for example if an individual has taken an overdose or is in imminent danger of physical harm, they should attend A & E or call 999 for the appropriate emergency service.

You may also find useful

Urgent dental care

Self Referral Services There are a number of support services which Leicester City patients can refer themselves to for further advice and support.

Emergency Department at Leicester Hospital This service is for emergencies only.

Services outside of Leicester city Find out how to access urgent care services in West Leicestershire or  East Leicestershire and Rutland.

NHS Service Finder  You can search for NHS services near you, including GP practices, pharmacies and dentists.

NHS website A-Z of health, A-Z of medicines, Healthy Living and more.


Share this page