Skip to main content
Toggle Mobile Menu

Under the Health and Care Act 2022 (effective from 1st July 2022), the planning, arranging and managing of most local health care has been transferred from clinical commissioning groups to integrated care boards. This website will remain live for several months while archiving takes place, but it will not be updated. You may also be directed back this website temporarily where content has not yet been added to the integrated care board’s website. You will only be redirected to this site where the content remains the most up-to-date and correct version.

Visit for the integrated care board for Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland. Thank you for your patience whist we develop our new site.

Helping the people of Leicester to have long and healthy lives.

Leicester City Clinical Commissioning Group

Healthcare for Ukrainian people

The National Health Service (NHS) provides health services to people living in the UK.

How do I register with a doctor?

In the UK, family doctors are called General Practitioners “GPs”. A GP is the first doctor you will see when accessing healthcare. To receive medical treatment, you and your children must register with a GP practice as soon as possible, even if you are not ill.

GP practices in Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland can offer medical advice, provide a diagnosis and prescribe medicines.

GP practices will help you with many physical and mental health concerns. GP practices can also help you to coordinate and manage your long term healthcare needs and they can refer you if you need more specialised hospital services.

It is best to register with a GP practice to meet your ongoing healthcare needs now even if you are not unwell.

You can find your local GP practice near where you are living by clicking here.

NHS 111

NHS111 is the first place to go for urgent care or when your GP practice is closed. You can contact the  24-hour NHS 111 service for free by dialling 111 to get free health information and advice. You can ask for an interpreter in your language by saying “interpreter please” you can also access NHS 111 online by clicking here.

The NHS 111 service is the easiest way for you to get the treatment you need, in the right place.

NHS 111 can also:

  • fully trained advisors will advise on the best course of action and tell you where to get help for your symptoms
  • direct you to urgent treatment centres/ walk in centres, GPs, pharmacies, emergency dental services, or other more appropriate local services
  • direct you to where you can get emergency supplies of your prescribed medicines, how to get a repeat prescription and provide general health information and advice.

Remember: If you or your loved one have an urgent but not-life-threatening medical need, make sure you visit NHS 111 online first rather than going straight to A&E.

But if you or your loved one have a life-threatening illness or injury, then you should always dial 999.

If you have hearing loss, are Deaf or have difficulties communicating you can also access NHS 111 by textphone on 18001 111 and British Sign Language (BSL) users can use the NHS 111 BSL interpreter service.

Visit NHS111 Online at and Help Us, Help You


Pharmacists can offer clinical advice and medicines for a range of minor illnesses, such as coughs, colds, sore throats, tummy trouble and aches and pains. The pharmacist will let you know if you need to visit a doctor or direct you to other healthcare professionals to make sure you get the help  you need. You can also buy medicines for minor illnesses or first-aid supplies in a pharmacy or supermarket; to find the nearest pharmacy click here.