How to register with a GP practice
How to register
1. Find a GP that you would like to register with and contact them to ask permission.
2. They will usually ask you to complete a form giving details such as:
- your name and address
- your date of birth
- you NHS number (if you know it)
- other information, such as the name and address of you previous GP
3. You will need to take the form into your chosen GP practice. Some GP surgeries will also ask to see proof of your identity.
4. You will be sent a letter confirming that you have been registered. Your medical records will then be transferred.
Everyone has the right to register
- You don’t need to provide a fixed address
- Identification is not mandatory
- Anyone can see a GP even if you are visiting the country
Finding a GP
You can find your nearest GP using the NHS “Find services” directory
Alternatively, call NHS 111
Healthwatch also offers a signposting service to give you information and help you to find out about the choices available to you. You can find out more here