Developing a cancer support app
We are looking at different ways to support local people living with and beyond cancer and we want to create an app for smartphones to deliver up to date advice, support and information about cancer and local services. This project is an opportunity to bring lots of different sources of information together in one place – on your phone or tablet.
To make this app as good as it can possibly be, we would like to hear from people living with cancer, or who have completed treatment, to be part of a small ‘quality check’ group as we develop the app.
An app gives us the opportunity to:
- Show what services are available locally
- Provide links to NHS web pages about cancer
- Provide links to local and national charities and groups via their websites
- Provide links to support on social media
- Show videos about support, advice and sources of information
- Give information about specific kinds of cancers, their signs, symptoms, treatments and after-effects of treatments
- Download brochures and booklets from lots of different sources to enable you to read on your phone at a time that suits you
We know that everyone has their own preferred ways of getting information and support. This app is one of a number of ways we are planning to support people locally, together with face to face advice from cancer nurse specialists and places like the Macmillan Information and Support Centre and the Macmillan buses and of course support groups in the community. Support will continue to be offered through paper versions of booklets and brochures – so not everything will be digital or online in the near future.
If you would like to take part in this working group, or you know someone with an opinion on how we communicate advice, support and information about cancer and who wants to influence the future of advice and support in LLR – then please get in touch with us.
You can get involved at one of the meetings we will be planning, or via the internet or on the phone – which ever method is easiest for you.
More details of dates and timings will be confirmed as the project develops.
To find out more please contact Julian Wing on Wednesdays, Thursdays or Fridays
- by email email@example.com
- or telephone: 0116 295 0417
- mobile: 07826 905 276