There are two ways to stop coronavirus from spreading:
- Keeping away from other people (social distancing)
- Good hygiene
The rules for social distancing depend on where you live.
Click here for the latest information.
There are things you can do to help reduce the risk of you and anyone you live with getting ill with coronavirus:
- wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds
- use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
- wash your hands as soon as you get home
- cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands afterwards
- do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean
If you need medical help
If you need medical help for any reason, do not go to your GP surgery, a pharmacy or hospital.
If you have symptoms of coronavirus (a high temperature or a new, continuous cough), use the 111 coronavirus service.
If you need help or advice not related to coronavirus:
- for health information and advice, use the NHS website or your GP surgery website
- for urgent medical help, use the NHS 111 online service – only call 111 if you’re unable to get help online
- for life-threatening emergencies, call 999 for an ambulance