Choose Better this Bank Holiday weekend
Families are being urged to ‘Choose Better’ this Bank Holiday weekend and avoid A&E unless absolutely necessary.
The three clinical commissioning groups in Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland are encouraging people to ensure they have a well-stocked medicine cabinet to deal with common ailments and small injuries. Patients with repeat prescriptions should call their surgery if they are likely to run out over the weekend.
Patients who require medical advice for themselves or for a family member can call NHS Direct on 0845 46 47 or visit their local pharmacy. The Out of Hours Service will also be available while GP surgeries are closed and callers will be redirected when they call their surgery.
For minor illnesses and injuries including cuts, stomach upsets, burns and strains, patients can attend one of the following Urgent Care Centres or Minor Injury Units:
Leicester Urgent Care Centre at Leicester Royal Infirmary. Open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
Loughborough Urgent Care Centre at Loughborough Hospital, Hospital Way. Open 24 hours each day
Merlyn Vaz Health and Social Care Centre, Spinney Hill Road. Open 8am-8pm each day
Oadby & Wigston Walk-in Medical Centre, The Parade, Oadby. Open from 8am-8pm each day
Melton Mowbray Hospital Minor Injury and Illness Service, Thorpe Road, Melton Mowbray. Open from 9.30am-1.30pm each day
Market Harborough Minor Injury and Illness Unit, Coventry Road, Market Harborough. Open from 9am-9pm each day, but there will be a limited service after 2.30pm on Bank Holiday Monday.
Rutland Memorial Hospital will be closed for minor injuries, illness and urgent care over the Bank Holiday weekend, as will Oakham Medical Practice. Please ring the out-of-hours service 0845 0450411 for help.
Patients are also reminded that there is now one entrance for both adults’ A&E and the Urgent Care Centre at Leicester Royal Infirmary. Patients who arrive on foot are assessed by a nurse to make sure they receive the most appropriate treatment. Their care could then be provided by A&E, their own GP, a pharmacist or at Leicester Urgent Care Centre.
Dr Nick Willmott, the urgent care lead for West Leicestershire Clinical Commissioning Group, speaking on behalf of the three CCGs, said: “Bank Holiday weekends are always a busy time for the NHS. We want people to enjoy their long weekend but we also want them to ensure they get the right treatment from the right part of the NHS.
“We would encourage patients wherever possible to use the most appropriate service for their needs and stay away from A&E unless they have a serious or life-threatening condition such as heavy bleeding, broken bones, chest pains or stroke.”
Good clear advice on where to go for medical help in Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland is available on the website www.choosebetter.org.uk
List of pharmacies open on Bank Holiday Monday, 26 August
- Patels Chemist, 115 Narborough Road, Leicester LE2 0PA
- Tesco Pharmacy, Hamilton Extra, Maidenwell Avenue, Leicester LE5 1BJ
- Tesco Pharmacy, Narborough Road, Retail Park, Leicester LE3 5LH
- Asda Pharmacy (40hrs), Fosse Park, Narborough Road South, Leicester LE3 2LL
- Boots the Chemist, Unit 2, Fosse Park Shopping Centre, Leicester LE19 1HJ
- Sainsbury’s Pharmacy(100hr) Fosse Park, Enderby LE19 1WT
- Asda Pharmacy (40hrs), Barwell Lane, Hinckley LE10 1SS
- Boots the Chemist, 2 Britannia Centre, Stockwell Head, Hinckley LE10 1RU
- Asda Pharmacy (40hrs), Leicester Road, Oadby LE2 4AH
- Lloyds Pharmacy, 9 The Parade, Oadby LE2 5BB
- Asda Pharmacy (100hrs) Barkby Thorpe Lane, Thurmaston LE4 8GN
- Boots, Unit 2 Thurmaston District Centre, Barkby Thorpe Lane, Thurmaston LE4 8GP
- Boots, 11-13 Market Place, Loughborough LE11 3EQ
- Sainsbury’s Pharmacy, Greenclose Lane, Loughborough LE11 5AS
- Tesco Pharmacy, Unit 1 The Rushes, Loughborough LE11 5BE
- Boots, 9 St Mary’s Place, St Mary’s Road, Market Harborough LE16 7DR
- Boots, 1-2 Cheapside, Melton Mowbray LE13 0TP
- Rutland Late Night Pharmacy, 45c High Street, Oakham LE15 6AJ
- Tesco Pharmacy, Resolution Road, Ashby de la Zouch LE65 1TE