Coronavirus vaccination – what you need to know: a public webinar to give the facts and bust the myths
26th January 2021 | By Liz Mattock | Posted in Coronavirus
Senior representatives from the NHS in Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland are holding a question and answer session for the public about the impact of the coronavirus pandemic and the local vaccination programme.
The webinar, “Coronavirus vaccination – what you need to know”, is taking place on Thursday 28th January 2021, from 7pm to 8pm and is open to everyone who would like to join. The panel want to hear from local people and respond to the misinformation in circulation about the vaccine.
Dr Tariq Kapasi, GP with Willows Health, who are hosting the webinar on behalf of the three local Clinical Commissioning Groups, said: “The coronavirus vaccination programme is the biggest immunisation programme in the history of the NHS. Vaccines are the way out of the pandemic; they will protect people from coronavirus and will save thousands of lives. However, we are really concerned that a lot of misleading information is circulating, particularly on social media.
“We are giving people the opportunity to find out more about the vaccine and put their questions to our local medical experts. Panel members will talk about their experiences of the pandemic, the impact on the community and the NHS, and explain why vaccination is so important. Everyone is welcome and there will be the chance to put questions to the panel.”
The panel members will be:
- Caroline Trevithick – LLR Clinical Commissioning Groups Executive Director, Chief Nurse and Vaccination Programme Lead for LLR, who will talk about the vaccination programme.
- Professor Ivan Browne, Director of Public Health Leicester City, who will explain why vaccine is so important.
- Andrew Furlong – Medical Director, University Hospitals Leicester NHS Trust, who will explain how the vaccine can reduce pressures in hospitals.
- Dr Sulaxni Nainani, GP and member of Leicester City Clinical Commissioning Group Governing Body, who will talk about the safety of the vaccine
- Dr Jennifer Briggs – Consultant in Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, University Hospitals Leicester NHS Trust, who will outline how the vaccine can help patients who are very unwell.
- Zuffar Haq, Lay member for Leicester City Clinical Commissioning Group, who will represent the views of patients.
Dr Kapasi added: “This webinar follows on from a successful online event we held last year with the CCGs, about the impact of Coronavirus on the community. Feedback from members of the public was very positive, so we do that people will take the opportunity to join us in this new discussion.”
To book your place visit: https://www.willowshealthcare.org/webinar-registration
More information on the webinar is available in this short video: https://youtu.be/0FMkKhREPBQ